Last Updated: March 29th, 2010
Collecting Personal Information
- When you place an online order or contact our website's customer service department to place an order, we need to know your name, e-mail address, mailing address, billing address, and credit card information. This information allows us to process your order, and to notify you of your order status.
- When you make a credit card purchase in one of our stores, we need to know your credit card number, and the card's expiration date.
- When you sign up for our e-mail newsletter, we need only your e-mail address.
- When you sign up to receive notice about our sales or store events through the mail, we need your name and mailing address.
- When you enter a contest or provide information for other promotional events, we will ask for the information needed to administer the contest and notify the winner.
We collect and store certain other information automatically whenever you interact with our website. For example, we collect your IP address, browser information and reference site domain name every time you visit our website. We also collect information regarding customer traffic patterns and site usage. This information is used to analyze and improve this website and to provide our customers with a fulfilling shopping experience.
Saving Personal Information
When you register online with EMS, we give you the option of saving your personal account information so you don't have to enter it each time you visit our site.
To serve you better, we may combine information you give us online and in our stores about your shopping activity and product interests. We may use this information to enhance and personalize your shopping experience with us, and provide you with service and products tailored to your specific needs and interests. You may also receive periodic mailings (including e-mails) from us about new products, services, discounts, or special promotions or events as a result of purchasing online, or providing your phone number at the register. If you do not want to receive such mailings, please call 888-463-6367, e-mail us, or copy your mailing label and customer number with the letters "DNM", and mail to: EMS, Mailing Preferences, One Vose Farm Rd., Peterborough, NH 03458. You also can tell us you no longer want to receive e-mails by clicking on an "unsubscribe" hyperlink contained in promotional emails we send you.
Using / Sharing Personal Information
We may share personal information that you provide to us through our website or through our website's customer service department with our affiliates, vendors and suppliers. In turn, our affiliates, vendors and suppliers may share this personal information with their affiliates and with vendors and suppliers whom they engage to perform services related to our website or the operation of our business. Examples of these services include website operation, payment processing and authorization, fraud protection and credit risk reduction, product customization, order fulfillment and shipping, customer service, marketing and promotional material distribution, data analysis and, where applicable, data cleansing. These affiliates, vendors and suppliers are authorized to use this personal information only in connection with the services they perform.
We occasionally provide your name and postal address (but not your e-mail address) to a select group of companies whose products you may find of interest. If you do not want us to share your information with other companies, please call us at 888-463-6367, click here, or copy your mailing label and customer number with the letters "DNR", and mail to:
EMS, Mailing Preferences
One Vose Farm Rd.
Peterborough, NH 03458.
On rare occasions, we may also have to provide information to a third party:
- In response to a subpoena or a valid administrative request from a law enforcement agency, or otherwise when we believe in good faith that the law requires it (i.e. when someone is suspected of being involved in illegal online activities).
- To protect the rights or property of EMS or its affiliates, vendors or suppliers.
- Under limited circumstances specifically described to you when we collect the information, such as in the rules of sweepstakes or other promotions.
Our Use Of Advertising.com Services
EMS uses the services of Advertising.com which sends advertising in the form of an advertising banner to web surfers that have accessed the EMS website. In order to provide this service to EMS, Advertising.com may use "cookies," beacons, and other technologies to collect anonymous and non-personally identifiable information which may include your web surfer's IP address, web pages which have been viewed by a web surfer, date and time, domain type, and responses by a web surfer to an advertisement delivered by us. We use different types of technologies to collect this type of information, including cookies and web beacons.
Links To Other Websites / Applicable Privacy Policies
Our website contains hyperlinks to websites operated by third parties, including links to the adventureus.com website. We include those links to provide you with fast access to products, services and information available on those websites. We provide the links and access to as a service to our website users, but we are not responsible for (1) how the third party websites collect and use your personally identifiable information, (2) the other terms that apply to your use of those websites or (3) the products, services or information available on any third party's website.
In addition, we may share with the third parties whose websites are featured in our links the non-personal information related to any cookies that we have stored on your computer.
Protecting Children's Information
EMS does not sell products for purchase by children. We sell children's products for purchase by adults. If you are under the age of 18, you should use our website only with the involvement of a parent or guardian and should not submit any personal information to us.
EMS does not knowingly collect personal information from children under age 13. If you are a parent and believe we may have inadvertently collected such information, please notify us immediately by sending an e-mail to email@example.com or writing to us at
Eastern Mountain Sports
One Vose Farm Rd.
Peterborough, NH 03458.
Various security measures, including Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption technology, are used to protect personal information that we collect. We are also a McAfee Secure site; click on the McAfee Secure logo to verify our membership and commitment to your security. Most browsers will show a lock icon in the bottom status bar on secure pages that ask for your name, password, address, or credit card.
What's A "Cookie"?
A cookie is a small file stored on your computer by a web site to give you a unique ID. A cookie generated by our site contains no information about you. It contains only a numeric ID.
- Allow you to retrieve your shopping cart on your next visit, as long as it is within a 12 hour period.
- Estimate the number of shoppers on our site.
- Determine the browser our visitors use so the site can be designed to work properly with the most common browsers. provide aggregated, statistical user information to third parties without releasing individual information. For example, we may disclose that "30% of our customers have bought hiking boots" in order to describe our site or services to trading partners, advertisers, or other third parties.
Banner Network Services
EMS uses the services of several banner networks which send advertising in the form of an advertising banner to web surfers that have accessed the EMS website. In order to provide this service to EMS, these networks may use "cookies," beacons, and other technologies to collect anonymous and non-personally identifiable information which may include your web surfer's IP address, web pages which have been viewed by a web surfer, date and time, domain type, and responses by a web surfer to an advertisement delivered by us. We use different types of technologies to collect this type of information, including cookies and web beacons.
Banner Networks may use the information they obtain to make statistical reports to its customers on matters such as the number of ads delivered by it to computers; to determine how to effectively deliver advertising to web surfers for its customers; and as required by law, or court or other governmental order.
Accessing, Correcting and Updating Personal Information
You can access, correct and update certain personal information that you have provided to us by clicking on "Manage Your Account".
Your California Privacy Rights
Under California law, you have the right to request and receive information from retailers concerning any third parties who have received personal information about you from such retailers for the third parties' direct marketing purposes. Any such requests for information from us can be made by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling us at (888) 463-6367.