MOUNTAINEER BOOKS Freedom of the Hills, 8th editionNow celebrating its 50th anniversary, Freedom of the Hills is the essential mountaineering reference. The 8th edition is packed with proven instruction for climbing on rock, snow, mixed, ice, and big walls.
- Covers everything from the basics of equipment, knots, rappelling techniques, and leave-no-trace principles to the more advanced skills of setting up complex anchors, evaluating avalanche terrain, and developing your leadership skills
- Completely revised and updated to include the latest in gear and techniques
- Written by a team of more than 40 expert climbers and climbing instructors
- Features hundreds of technical illustrations
- Includes extensive revisions to self-rescue, aid climbing, waterfall and ice climbing
- Significant new chapter on physical conditioning
- All-time bestselling climbing instructional book
- Printed on 100% recycled paper
- 8th edition, 2010
- 856 pages; measures: 7.25 x 9 in.
- Publisher: The Mountaineer Books
Reviewed by 1 customer
Displaying review 1
- Fairly priced
- Up to date
- Getting stoked
Comments about MOUNTAINEER BOOKS Freedom of the Hills, 8th edition:
i was very pleased with the content of this book. i wish i had gotten it sooner in my hiking career. i would strongly recommend it for beginner and intermediate outdoor enthusiasts or for anyone who needs a comprehensive reference guide e.g. knot tying, emergency situations.